Around the World Showcase that is. I’m attending a conference that’s actually in Disney World the first week of November. Kevin is flying down that Tuesday. Now, here are all the good parts:
- We’re staying on Disney Property at the Coronado Springs Resort, where the conference is held. Disney is all about conferences and gave a fantastic rate on the room! I paid more last year and we stayed in Downtown Disney! This is so much better! (Did you know that wake-up calls are made by none other than Mickey Mouse?!!)
- The conference itself, Learning 2005, is sponsored by the Masie Center. It’s an incredible conference with no exhibition hall, interactive sessions focused on peer discussion instead of presentations, wikis, blogs, eLearning, social networking … it just sounds amazing. Anyone who is in education – be it corporate or academic – should really think about attending. And through October 15, registration is only $1095. I’m rarely excited about conferences – they make me sleepy. This one, however, I’m incredibly excited about. Oh, and just to make it better – Malcolm Gladwell (Blink, The Tipping Point) is going to be one of the speakers. Woohoo!
- The conference has bought out Disney MGM for that Tuesday night. It will just be us conference attendees (only 1115 right now) and our families. Wow! (I’ll get the spouse admission for Kevin, which is discounted.)
- Wednesday, after the conference, Kevin & I are renting a car for the day to drive out to Tampa (only around a 90 minute drive or so) to see Pam and her new baby (Pam will be induced tomorrow morning).
- I’m buying 3-day Park Hopper passes for Kevin & I to use on Thurs, Fri, and Sat. These are at a super steep discount because Disney wants conference attendees to visit the parks. (There are caveats – they must be used by 12/30/05 and they are only valid for 10-days after the first use.) We’re spending the three days in Animal Kingdom and, primarily, Epcot.
- Here’s the best news of all, and the reason Kevin & I will be broke, well-educated, and drunk the entire time we spend in Epcot: The 2005 Epcot International Wine & Food Festival. Yep – right when we’re there! It’s amazing – there are all these extra booths full of wine, beer, and food. There are seminars on Wine and Wine Tasting. It’s insane. We’re drinking our way around the world. Oh, and the champagne bar opens at 9 am. We’ll be lucky if we make it to Animal Kingdom. (We got to sit in on a Doug Frost session and then meet the Master Sommelier/Master of Wine himself. He’s the kind of guy I’d enjoy hanging out with – maybe slinging back a couple of beers!)
I fully admit that I’m a Disney addict. I love Disney. It makes me happy just reading about Disney. In a month, I’ll be immersed in Disney Magic for 7 days. I cannot wait!
Posted by Michelle at 3:51 pm in
Leave a Reply