www.wine-girl.net
    Home   |   Archives   |   Calendar   |   Wine & Food Pairing   |   Wine Trails
Oct 17

Update: Life is not CSI

My 21-year old sister Krystal, who was also a twin, dropped dead on campus before her midterm exams on Monday. They think it might be a brain aneurysm, but we won’t know the exact cause for 30-60 days. Life is not CSI. The visitation is Thursday and funeral Friday here in Northern Ky. Information on services can be found on the front page of KevinandShel.com.

There will NOT be a Friday event post this week. There’s just no way I can get it together in time.

It looks like, overall, I’ll be taking around 2 weeks off from the wine
blog. I’m going to ask two friends of mine to contribute periodically,
as guest authors, over the next week and a half.

Sunday I actually leave for a conference in Florida where I’m giving two presentations. I’ve decided to go, because I think I could use a break. Kevin & I have had a lot of death in 30 days (Krystal died 31 days after Kevin’s father). My best friend lives near the conference, so I think the trip will be good for me.

I return next Wednesday night. I intend to post an event listing on Oct 26 and everything should return to normal after that. Or in my case, a new normal.

– Michelle

UPDATE 10/17 evening: The coroner called my dad tonight. When he opened up Krystal’s
chest, the right ventricle of her heart was destroyed. It was a
congenital heart defect. A heart problem had shown up in her twin, Kimberly, earlier this
year but it hadn’t presented in Krystal, even with tests. Kim is on
medication. The coroner said she probably was going about her day, had
some sort of pain similar to antacid, and then was gone. Quick.
Painless.

Her heart was just tired.

The stress on her heart from finals, work, and everyday living is
different from the stress put on her heart from sports and climbing and
all the other things she did. Her heart just gave out.

It helps to have a reason, even if it doesn’t take away the pain.

Share on FacebookEmail This
Copyright Creative Commons by-nc-nd My Wine Education.
Posted by Michelle at 10:09 am in Life | Permalink | Comments (8)

8 Responses to “Update: Life is not CSI”

1. Jill says:

This is terribly sad news. So sorry to hear you’re going through this. Our thoughts are with you.

2. winehiker says:

Life isn’t CSI, and it certainly doesn’t play fair, either. Hang in there, Michelle. My heart goes out to you and your family.

3. Adamatus says:

Extremely sorry to hear about your loss. As someone not far from your sisters age, who makes his living from neuroscience and the brain, it’s certainly painful to see this.
    Please, don’t be afraid to take time to grieve. We are there with you, take as much time as you need. We’ll be here waiting, when you’re ready again.

4. Jessica says:

So sorry for your loss! We are keeping you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

5. Bill & Patti says:

Michelle.
    To see Krystal move to the other side, in her prime, renders our hearts full of sadness. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Harmony Hill Vineyards

6. Bill & Patti says:

Michelle.

7. Mark says:

Michelle: I am so sorry to hear this news. I echo Adamatus’ words: Take all the time you need to grieve, and don’t feel pressure to return to these duties. We’ll be here whenever you come back.

8. Michelle: I know I offered this before, but my offer still stands, if you should EVER need time away from it all, please consider our home as a place of rest and relaxation while feasting on Spanish food and wine here in Barcelona. Although our digs are modest, your glass will never run dry :-) Take care of yourself and know that our hearts go out to you.
    Gabriella and Ryan Opaz (Catavino)

Contributing Authors

Wine-Girl.net Rating Scale

Recent Posts

Categories

Wine Competitions Wine Book Club (WBC) Wine Judging Reviews Readings Whiskey Watch France Weblogs Games Wine Clubs Books RIP Repost WBW #65 Wine Glossary Wine Maps TasteCamp Web/Tech Marketing Uncategorized Legislation Recipes Florida Recession Wine Meet the Winemaker Greatest Hits Drink Pink! (BCRF) Holiday Current Affairs Television Spirits Photos Wine Shop Wednesday Contests Scotch & Whiskey History Disney Wine Tech Food and Wine Pairings Mad Men Monday Guest Writers Pop Culture Food and Drink Wine Blogs Knowledge Entertainment Dinner and Drinks Life Charity Benefits News Beer-Guy.net Special Events Beer WBW Local Wineries Cocktails Wine Shops Restaurants Travel Wineries Wine Notes Wine Events Weekly Cincinnati Wine Events Wine Misc Local Tastings Cincinnati

Links That Make Us Happy

Sponsors

sponsors

WineGirl on Facebook

Krystal Pepper Memorial Scholarship Fund

Raising money for a scholarship fund in memory of Michelle's little sister who passed away in 2007Click here for information on the Krystal Pepper Memorial Scholarship Fund.

Winner, Best Cincinnati Weblog 2007

Alltop, all the cool kids (and me)

Ads from our kind sponsors …